Possibly the only thing sweeter than seeing the world? Trying all of the local sweet treats! Here are a few of our favorite recipes from a few of our favorite places. Try them for yourself!
Black Forest Cake
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling
- ½ cup cherry liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease flour and two 8 inch cake pans.
- Combine milk and vinegar – set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, coffee and vanilla. Stir in milk mixture.
- Gradually beat the flour mixture into the liquid.
- Pour batter into pans and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool before adding cherry filling.
To make the cherry filling, combine cherry pie filling and cherry liquor. Refrigerate filling until chilled before filling cake.
Spanish Chocolate con Churros
Adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/churros-con-chocolate-spanish-371091
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- Oil (for frying)
- Sugar (for coating)
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Combine water, oil, rind and salt in a pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add flour and beat mixture on low flame until batter becomes smooth.
- Put batter into a pastry bag and pipe strips (to desired length) into hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Combine chocolate, sugar and milk in saucepan over medium heat. Stir for 5 minutes or until mixture is melted and smooth.
Belgian Liege Waffles
Adapted from https://liegewaffle.wordpress.com/liege-waffle-recipe-liege-gaufre-recette/
Prep time: 12 hours
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Ingredients (for 6 waffles):
- ¾ teaspoon instant yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons of packed light brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 11 tablespoons melted butter
- ¾ cup pearl sugar
- Dissolve yeast in ¼ cup warm water and allow to stand.
- Add ½ cup flour and 1 egg. Mix to blend.
- Cover the mixture with remaining 1 cup of flour – do not stir. The cover bowl in plastic wrap and let stand for 60 minutes.
- Add second egg, light brown sugar, salt, vanilla extract and honey.
- Mix on low speed for 15 minutes.
- Add butter 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Put dough into a large bowl, re-cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 4 hours. Once it has risen, put dough in fridge overnight.
- The next day, remove dough from fridge and add pearl sugar.
- Shape each piece into an oval ball and let them rise for 90 minutes.
- Press balls of dough with greased waffle iron for 2 minutes.
Adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/dessert-crepes-346219
Ingredients (for 8 crepes):
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter, flour, sugar and salt until smooth.
- Grease crepe pan with butter and heat to medium heat.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of crepe batter over crepe pan, tilting pan so entire surface is covered.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with toppings of choice.